The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) revealed a new Massachusetts driver’s license and Mass ID design on July 26. The new Massachusetts driver’s license design is so secure that it places Massachusetts among the top states in the country for ID card security, and is set to roll out to new and existing license-holders and ID card carriers over the next five years.
Royalty News Free Background Vector Meme Image All current Massachusetts licenses will remain valid until they expire, at which time drivers will be issued the new design. No further action is required of Massachusetts residents during the transition.
Security features in the Massachusetts ID and driver’s license design, including federally-required REAL ID features (which all MA IDs will contain by 2020, the future deadline for individuals to board a plane or enter a federal building) include:
- Second bar code on the reverse side that contains demographic information from the front
- Raised lettering of cardholder’s initials and birth year
- Laser perforation and engraving
- Ultraviolet (UV) ink only visible under ultraviolet light
- A Kinegram® (foil-based optical security image)
- Laser Write – cardholder’s initials and year of birth appear within the Kinegram®. This feature can also be viewed when backlit, using a flashlight.
- Multiple data placements -The individual applicant’s data is placed at various locations on the front and back of each document.
Other security features remain a secret as the Mass RMV wants to prevent those with fraudulent intentions from knowing the full list.
As for visual features of the new license and ID card design, the RMV has featured Massachusetts’ history, including depictions of the State House Golden Dome, the Civil War Memorial to the Massachusetts 54th Regiment, the state bird (chickadee) and flower (the Mayflower).
Watch the video video below to learn more about the Massachusetts license redesign:
Renewing your Massachusetts Driver’s License or Mass ID
Residents who are ready to renew their Massachusetts driver’s license or ID can do so online, at participating AAA offices, or a local RMV branch. Find out more at www.massrmv.com